Not having ample experience in SEO will make it hard for you to land an SEO job. Considering that employers really take their time in finding qualified SEO employees because of their fast-evolving industry, you need to know the current algorithm changes, stay ahead of the curve, and be able to deliver better quality content than other SEOs.
Although some employers might demand many requirements and qualifications, one thing that you need to do is to walk your way into the interview, at least. There are many highly qualified SEOs in the industry such as the Portland SEO professionals that are models to follow and emulate. So, we interviewed some of the top SEOs and have composed this content to help newbies like you into the industry.
1. Highlights your SEO experience – your resume needs to be bombarded with skills and experience related to SEO, of course, given that you are applying for the position. The resume, moreover, needs to be diverse, but able to demonstrate your skillset. The following are the things you need to be mindful about:
- Your most successful projects and experience
- The tactics you used in order to arrive at different project results such as how you funneled more qualified leads, how you increased traffic, and more in certain projects.
- How did you handle the Google penalty?
- Provide a real-case scenario from the past employer which you were able to solve and provide them the skills and techniques you used in overcoming such feat
2. Be updated in the industry’s trends and changes – you would not be considered qualified despite all the experiences if you cannot showcase them your ability to adapt to changes, and one of the ways to showcase this ability is to make them see you know the trends in the industry and that you have ample knowledge to be able to keep track on the trends. Know the following:
- Panda – a new update on Google that provides better content offering
- Penguin – serves as the security provided by Google, which gives heavier penalties on any companies that purchase sites for Google rank boost.
- Pigeon – an update in local search that gives a more accurate connection between Google map and Google web.
- Mobilegeddon – this algorithm changed how browser-based sites and mobile-friendly websites are ranked.
- Rankbrain – considered to be one of the three most important webpage ranking tools on Google.
Although we gave you a list, it is still crucial that you widen your knowledge and continue being updated on the new algorithm updates on Google and SEO.
3. Familiarize the tools – without a comprehensive knowledge of the tools that all SEO specialists should know, he/she will never be considered as a great SEO specialist. You need to familiarize yourself with the ff. or else, you will automatically fail the interview or application:
- Google Analytics – this free tool by Google gives you comprehensive business insights
- Moz Pro – one aspect that Moz Pro provides are crucial metrics that all SEOs utilize.
- Deep Crawl – web page diagnostics tool
As mentioned, search for more tools that will be a great help in your SEO journey and showcase them on your resume.